Chlorine Bleach - mixed with ammonia can release toxic chloramine gas.
Metal Polish - may contain petroleum distillates that can cause temporary eye clouding; longer exposure can cause nervous system, skin, kidneys and eye damage.
Glass Cleaner - may contain ammonia that can cause eye and lung irritation and headaches.
Disinfectant - may contain phenol and cresol that can cause diarrhea, fainting, dizziness, kidney and liver damage.
Furniture and Floor Polishes - may contain nitrobenzene that can cause skin discoloration, vomiting, and other serious chronic health conditions.
Do you have these in your utility closet?
Spot Removers, Carpet Cleaners – can cause liver damage if ingested.
Mothballs – may contain naphthalene a suspected carcinogen that may cause eyes, blood, liver, kidneys, skin and central nervous system damage; paradichlorobenzene that can harm the central nervous system, liver and kidneys.
Spray Starch – may contain formaldehyde, a suspected carcinogen and phenol and pentachorophenol that may irritate the lungs.
Do you have these in your living room & bedroom?
"Wrinkle Resistant" or "Permanent Press" fabrics found in many no-iron sheets, curtains, bedding, sleep wear, woven fabrics and polyester blends - may be treated with formaldehyde.
Press Wood Products – many emit formaldehyde and other chemicals.
Carpeting or Synthetic Fibers – many are treated with pesticides and fungicide.
Do you have these in your bathroom?
Shampoo – many contain cresol, formaldehyde, glycols, nitrates/nitrosamines and sulfur compounds.
Hair Spray – many contain butane propellants as well as formaldehyde resins.
Fragrance, Lotion, Creams and Moisturizers – may contain phenols, glycols, fragrances and heavy metals.
Toilet Bowl Cleaner – may contain hydrochloric acid or sodium acid sulfate that can cause skin burns, cause vomiting, diarrhea, stomach burns and blindness.
Do you have these in your garage?
Paint Thinner – may contain chlorinated aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons that can cause liver and kidney damage.
Oil-based Paint – may contain mineral spirits that are a skin, eye, nose, throat and lung irritant. High air concentrations can cause nervous system damage, unconsciousness and death.
Wood Putty – may contain toluene, which is highly toxic and may cause severe damage.
Gasoline, Motor Oils – may contain petroleum hydrocarbons.
Do you have these in your yard or patio?
Pesticides – one of the most toxic substances found in most homes.
Charcoal Lighter Fluid – contains petroleum distillates that besides being flammable may contain benzene, a known human carcinogen.
Source: “Safe Substitutes at Home: Non-toxic Household Products.” Tennessee Valley Authority, Regional Waste Management Insititute.
Disclaimer: Information contained on this website is current at the time of publication and every effort has been made to assure its accuracy. However, Kirkman® cannot
be held responsible for inaccuracies which may occur. If you wish to verify the most up-to-date information or have questions regarding materials on this website call Kirkman®
at 800-245-8282 or 503-694-1600 and speak with a customer service representative.